Monday, September 22, 2008

The Mid-day Tea Break


Well, here I sit with my cup of Green Tea (in attempting to be good and live longer it seems the proper thing to do to cut out a portion of the caffeine I intake on a daily basis). I wonder how many of us depend on that daily "jolt" to get us going, and foolishly think that we are immune to caffeine and its addictive nature? I certainly have fallen into that category. I have often made the boast, and it is true, that I can have several cups of coffee and go to bed and sleep well. I don't think that is necessarily something to be proud of.
One of the biggest downfalls of drinking coffee for me is the problem is causes when I try to fast for any length of time. I recall a time in the not too distant past where my wife and I were on a three day fast. Sometime in the afternoon of the second day we both had begun to feel quite bad with aches and pains in our body akin to those you feel when you have the flu. I was not otherwise sick and was having difficulty understanding the source of the pain. We were traveling to a meeting about 100 miles from home and about midway through the trip a thought hit me out of the blue. Perhaps this is caffeine withdrawal! (In our time of fasting we were only drinking water) To prove my hypothesis (and no other reason) I pulled into a gas station and bought a cup of coffee which my wife and I shared. Within minutes the pain was gone and we felt super. Lately we have been working out some and playing tennis to try to lose a little weight and get in shape, and I am thinking that perhaps a break from the caffeine might be beneficial. Sorry Starbucks, but the Venti Doubleshots with Energy have to go.
On that note do you know that a Venti Doubleshot with Energy has FIVE shots of Espresso plus 5 packages of whatever nifty little energy powder they use? WOW. It works for about the first 2 hours of the all night prayer meeting.
Anyway..gotta run.. this tea is nasty, I wonder if anybody made a fresh pot of joe?


The Wordy Geek

No comments: