Saturday, October 25, 2008

Outer Banks Vacation


Well we've been here in Duck, NC since this time last week and I have to say it has been a great vacation. We have traveled all the way from up above Corolla all the way to Ocracoke. To get to the are above Corolla you need a 4 wheel drive. We went on one of the wild horse tours of the area and it was well worth the money. I could not believe how many people live in that area past the paved roads. I'm sure many of them are semi-retired folk who don't have to drive it every day, but some of them commute to work from there every day, which means having to drive on the beach for a period of time to get to the paved road access. Some as far as 10/12 miles. Of course that is a much better traffic jam than the ones I have to deal with near Atlanta. And we got to see a lot of wild horse activity while up there so that is a great area. To get to Ocracoke you have to go to the end of Hatteras and take the ferry over. It is about a 40 minute trip then a 13 mile drive into town. I really like Ocracoke and hope they can keep the authentic fishing village feel of the area with all of the big corporations trying to move in and demolish the old homes to build condo's and rental properties. I'm not sure what the total mileage is between Corolla and Ocracoke but there is lots to see between the two and it really is not a one day trip. It can be done in a day but you would miss so much. From Corolla you have the Currituck Lighthouse. Then you pass by the Bodie Island lighthouse on Highway 12 on the way. Coquina Beach is just across the road from the lighthouse and is an interesting beach. You cross the Pea Island bridge and there is an old abandoned life saving station there that is interesting to look at. Then you travel on through Rodanthe and other villages to Hatteras where of course the Hatteras lighthouse is located. Then a ferry ride and a short drive puts you in Ocracoke. That way you could actually see 4 of the 5 lighthouses stationed up and down the barrier islands off the coast of NC. I think I like the Ocracoke one the best but I'm not sure why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gladf that you had a Great vacation. I live about 9.5 miles up the beach and I can tell you that comute has it's good days and bad days, but it is always a unique experience as the beach changes daily.

J-P
EscapeThePavement.com

The Traveler said...

Unique is a great word for it. I suspect your drive changes with the weather. I was amazed at the buoy that washed down from 'Jersey and landed on your beach there.