Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Christian Response

I belong to one of the EDG's on Yahoo. (For those of you who might be acronymally challenged that is an Email Discussion Group) I won't say which one it is since my purpose is not to expose or bring them up as a topic, but we had a new member join recently. Let me explain further about this EDG that it is of a religious nature and invites members of a particular denomination to join and discuss usually matters of a theological kind although the occasional football discussion crops up and anything is fodder for the till. Anyway, this new member who joined was an American woman who had married a Muslim man and moved to his country to live but had continued to be a believer in Christ. Her husband seemed to be a Muslim by cultural identity more so than religious identity and she was looking for some fellowship from like minded believers. One of the female members of the EDG, IMO (In My Opinion) attacked her for selling out and "being unequally yoked" to an unbeliever, and questioned her intent for joining the group and sharing her testimony. I personally did not agree with her statements against this individual and thought she was WAAAAYYYY out of line, but wanted to think through that thought line. How should we respond to people who have obviously not followed a certain biblical principle yet are believers by their testimony. To me the Bible does give clear instructions against marrying non believers and perhaps even how we conduct our business dealings with non believers yet it doesn't state that it is a sin, just something that will cause us problems if we do. Shouldn't love be the rule? Not a wink of the eye to the indiscretion but a receiving of a person as they are? I need to talk about this more later but I have to leave to go visit a Hindu temple. Guess I better not share that with the group.

No comments: